The new paradigm is to move away from being an infrastructure manager
to a network manager. An infrastructure manager would focus on items
such as the quality of asphalt. A network manager would concentrate
his/her efforts on traffic flow or the safety of the road network.
This requires; that he/she must communicate more directly with customers
and others regarding levels of service in terms of: reliable travel
times, safe infrastructure, comfortable infrastructure, etc. Therefore,
municipalities must have improved knowledge about their assets.
Anderson Road Management Services will help municipalities develop
an Asset Management tool that links user expectations for asset
condition, performance and availability with system management and
investment strategies. An Asset Management tool that will provide
information to manage municipal assets efficiently and effectively;
develop short and long range plans for asset preservation, rehabilitation
and renewal and; allocate scarce financial resources over the priorities
of competing assets.
Anderson Road Management Services has facilitated a consortium
of upper tier municipalities in their search for an asset management
software tool. We have assisted the Ontario Good Roads Association
(OGRA) with the development of their Municipal DataWorks project.
For OGRA we have written three (3) asset management documents, trained
±400 municipal staff on the concepts of asset management
and how Municipal DataWorks (an OGRA member service) will assist
municipalities in achieving PSAB compliance and their asset management
Support Services Available
- Assistance with the Implementation of an asset management
program, which includes:
- Development of an asset management implementation workplan.
A workplan that considers local limitations.
- Assistance in developing an organization’s goals
and objectives that links user expectations for asset condition,
performance, and availability with system management and
- Collecting and organizing data for input to the Municipal
DataWorks data repository
- Updating and keeping the asset inventory current
- Training staff
- Development of performance measures to monitor achievement
of asset management goals and objectives
- Development of a report card for council and public reporting
- Setting up the asset categories that will group like
assets for efficient management and capital planning
- Develop strategies for asset preservation, rehabilitation
and renewal that are consistent with local requirements
- Calculate the historic and/or replacement costs that
will be need for PSAB 3150 compliance